Play Station 2 and Linux

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Thu Jan 24 07:45:13 EST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, charles crawford wrote:
> 	This idea of play station 2 being a Linux box is fascinating.
> Would anyone care to speculate on what it would take to make a software
> synthesizer for speech like Microsoft SAPI?  It seems to me that if we
> could get speakup for example into the system at the get go, then we would
> get over one big barrier to accceptance within the blind user community.

No speculation is needed here. It would take a butt load of work that is
already in progress to finnish up. For that to happen quickly many more
hours of volunteer work need to be done. If it was to happen really
quickly, those hours would need to come from another person.

There is work beign done on a software synth in linux. Also, speakup would
need a major change that may happen some year down the road (unless that
magical volunteer surfaces and chooses to do that work).

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nowlan's Theory:
        He who hesitates is not only lost, but several miles from
        the next freeway exit.