Speakup With Kernel Compile

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Wed Jan 23 10:05:59 EST 2002

Richard Wells said the following on Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:44:11PM -0500:
> Is it possible to update Speakup without compiling the kernel? I have a
> stable kernel but I want to get the latest features into it hopefully
> without compiling it.
>
> Thanks

No.  You will have to recompile.  If you have a stable kernel and it's
configured then hopefully you saved your .config file in /usr/src/linux
.  When I find a good configuration I copy the file to config-raul or
something like that.  Then I run checkout from
/usr/src/linux/driver/char/speakup.  Update speakup, then run make
mrproper which will clober your .config file.  This is why you want to
have a backup of it.  ONce make mrproper is done copy your backed up
config file to .config and run make oldconfig.  Then make dep; make
bzImage.

HTH.

--
We are writing this e-mail to inform you that the mail server is down.
Please do not call the help desk for assistance.  To see the progress of