Speakup With Kernel Compile

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue Jan 22 22:23:28 EST 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Richard Wells wrote:
> Is it possible to update Speakup without compiling the kernel? I have a
> stable kernel but I want to get the latest features into it hopefully
> without compiling it.

No. That is the short answer. The longer answer is that because speakup is
a part of the kernel and the only way to add code to a kernel is to patch
the source and recompile you must recompile. That being said, there is no
reason to fear this. First, having a stable kernel is no huge feat. IT is
really quite simple. Second, if you compiled your current kernal then you
merely need to patch it, run make oldconfig (which then asks only new
questions) and compile away. You can skip the part of making the modules
since you haven't any need for more of them.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nowlan's Theory:
        He who hesitates is not only lost, but several miles from
        the next freeway exit.