bind listening on 1 ip address

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Tue Jan 22 17:26:41 EST 2002

Geoff Shang said the following on Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 08:12:41AM +1000:
> Hi:
>
> Well, you could use the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files to control access
> to your DNS.  but I'm curious why you'd want outside people to be able to
> use your DNS server but not the internal LAN.  Not that there's not a good
> reason for this, it's just that I can't think of one.

Actually.  The problem I was having was the the primary dns was not
successfully transfering zones to the secondary salve server and by
looking at the logs it said the transfer was tiing out.  I was thinking
it was trying to use the external IP instead of the internal one and
wanted to make sure it was not being blocked somehow.  I only wanted to
do that for troubleshooting.  It turns out I didn't open port 53 on the
firewall.  So after calling myself an idiot for overlooking that and
seeing everything work as expected I just took a break.  Sometimes you
get to a point where little easy things become hard when you've been
working on 4 projects all at once.

Thanks for the suggestion though.  Take care.

--
We are writing this e-mail to inform you that the mail server is down.
Please do not call the help desk for assistance.  To see the progress of