Needs educateingRE: Message from Linux (fwd)

Georgina gena at gena-j.net
Tue Jan 22 13:18:03 EST 2002

Hi

Well I'm going to stick my head above the parapit.  So knock it off cleanly
won't you.  <Smile>.

I disagree, Linux will be for the masses as far as the Blinux community is
concerned, in the future.  Now before you raise your axe:

A friend beta testing for GW Micro proudly informed me that they had a couple
of developers working on speech with flash.  I pondered, how many people will
we have when we have the foundations to build upon?  I guess that it will be
more that any capitalist system can offer.  I fear that many of you are
forgetting the ethos of the Linux operating system and that the provailing
economic situations of blind people around the world.  We don't need to knock
MS because they're introducing new technologies and then attempting to build a
fix for those of us who need a screen reader.

The whole structure of screen readers has been to engage between the OS and the
graphic adapter but in XP they've changed that way of working.  As well as
they're push to secure the copying of the operating system too, is going to
raise questions within the minds of blind people when they consider upgrading.  We as blind people know only too well, what it is like to be bound with copy protection methods.

I do fear that our community will be become divided by those who have their
equipment paid for by an employer or Government and those who have to find it
themselves.

I think that blind people will give Linux a chance when they can use the GUI
and more development will be undertaken by the Open Source community then

these small sponges that we know as the adaptive industry.  Yes, they rule the
day currently.  But just sit back and see where loyalty lies.

Linux as a whole, is at a very interesting point in its development.  My local
Linux Users Group were discussing this issue a few months ago and someone
offered this anedote:

At a meeting, someone took a box with one of the rpm packages freshly
installed.  The new user wanted to set up his dial up service.  A long time
experienced user went to work looking at scripts editing this way and that way
but after some time he wasn't getting anywhere.  Anyway another newbie user was
at the meeting and plucked up the courage and said, "I had the same problem and
I can show you how I fixed it".  So they invited him to attempt it and within
a few clicks of the mouse within the X environment, the box was dialing out on
demand nicely.

So ther's a lot of potential for Linux and it is up to us how we progress.
Gena