logging into mandrake textually

Saqib Shaikh ss at saqibshaikh.com
Mon Jan 21 10:48:09 EST 2002

Hi,

In any distribution, you may use KDM which is a graphical login like you get
under Windows. Mandrake has this by default as do many other distributions.
Even text-oriented ones like Debian/Slackware can have it installed.

When running X you can use virtual consoles 1-6, and 7 is for X. Alt+fN
takes you to any console. When in X use control+alt+FN to switch back to a
text console. I just tell you this in case you're interested.

So from a grahpical login you can switch to a text login with control+alt+F1
or in fact any number from 1 to 6. I use this method on my parents' computer
and at university.

Hope this is of some help.

Saqib