Speakup chokes on long resitations.

Dan Murphy mweeby at nycap.rr.com
Sun Jan 20 17:57:47 EST 2002

Hi list.
I have been having this little problem with speakup or something for
some time now, but I wasn't sure if it was a memory problem or what.
I am using a doubletalk PC on both my machines which are both running
Slackware 8.0 with kernel 2.4.5.  If I have speakup read a long
passage of text, it will eventually choke, that is, the synthesizer
will not respond to ctrl or anything to silence it, and when it
finally does go silent, everything is frozen and I have to do an
ungraceful reboot.
I usually run Speakup with key_echo set to 0 since that's the way I
like it, but I'm not even sure that Speakup is causing the problem.
Any ideas would be helpful since there are times when I can't silence
the speech in time and I don't know enough Linux to look at what to
check.
thanks.

Dan Murphy
mailto:mweeby at nycap.rr.com
http://home.nycap.rr.com/mweeby
Let us not look back in anger or forward
in fear, but around us in awareness.
                -- James Thurber