Will Redhat Become a Division of AOL Time-Warner?

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sun Jan 20 10:37:50 EST 2002

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Charles Crawford wrote:
>          I wish I could be as optimistic.  Actually, we will have to demand
> that they keep the command line text runtime or they will simply do the
> migration thing where the GUI is updated and the text is
> forgotten.  Witness the disappearance of DOS.

Yep, AOL will revoke the GPL lisense and render it null and void. They
will re-write the entire linux work making the gui inseperable from the
OS. They will make it so you can no longer download the OS for free. In
fact, they will modify it such taht those of us already running linux will
have to pay amonthly fee to prevent our computers from blowing up and
setting our houses on fire.

Get a fucking grip people. First, most everything in the base OS has been
released under GPL. Thus, anyone can build from there. Second, there is no
way to make the gui so integrated that the cammand line can't be had in
linux. That would require a re-write of the entire OS. Third, contrary to
popular rumor the secret plan to make blind people work in salt mines was
abandonded last week.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nowlan's Theory:
        He who hesitates is not only lost, but several miles from
        the next freeway exit.