Problem with Slackware install

Rodney rodneylist at home.com
Sat Jan 19 15:41:38 EST 2002

Hi all.

Well I have finally downloaded, burned and created the two floppy disks
for Slackware 8.0.  However, I am having some problems.

First of all it is a IBM computer with a Pentium 233 (I believe).  I
bought a Double Talk LT and connected it to the 9 pin serial port.  This
computer currently has Windows on it, so I was able to run the test.com
program for the Double Talk LT and I could hear and understand the words
spoken.

I am only going to use this computer for Linux.

I am having trouble with the first step.

I inserted the boot disk I created from the speakup.I file on the
Slackware CD.

Turned the computer on, and waited for the floppy disk to spin down.  I
have a little bit of sight (can't read any characters though) and I
noticed there was what looked like a prompt.

I typed in:
ramdisk speakup_synth=ltlk
and pressed enter.  However, the computer never started speaking any
prompts or anything.

I tried entering:
ramdisk speakup_synth=ltlk speakup_ser=n
where I replace n with 0 through 3.
None of my attempts worked.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.