Problems with pdf files.

Amanda Lee amanda at shellworld.net
Sat Jan 19 12:00:56 EST 2002

Janina,

Appears that Geof muddied the waters somewhat as he took my statements out
of context and inserted his own.  This is why I don't like this form of
responding to email because it is very easy to distort what the original
sender intended to say.

I was basically playing devil's advocate because it goes withoug saying that
a Copyright is just that and basically unless one modifies the content and
mis-represents it's intent, there is little that can be done to dictate to
the end user what he or she does with the information provided.  If no
ill-intent is demonstrated, it's really in the gray area of what defines the
boundaries of enforceable law.  This is why I feel certain that if someone
developed a program which enabled .pdf to be accessed via a Screen Reader or
other technologies intended for use by an individual who is blind, vision
impaired or print disabled, that Adobe would have a lot of work to do to
over-rule access to information which is already provided for under the law
versus the burden of proof necessary to justify that as persons who need to
utilize sed information, that we have any other intent.

Amanda Lee