What parts of Redhat are modified for the Speakup install

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Jan 19 10:12:16 EST 2002

Hi:

At the risk of starting a distro war ...

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Thomas Ward wrote:

> 1. Red Hat comes packed with lots of configuration tools such as sndconfig
> for sound cards, linuxconf to configure all sorts of permitions etc, and the
> setup configuration wich allows you to configure services, firewalls,
> printers, etc.

This is OK, providing they do what they're meant to.  A setup program has
the power to make a big mess or problems that can be hard to diagnose
because you don't know what it did to begin with.  I've lost count of the
number of times I've heard people whinge about linuxconf which, by the way,
is also packaged with Debian.

> 4. Red Hat is widely recognized in the business world as the Linux of
> choice, and I feel it adds more qualafications if you can say I know Red Hat
> rather than some distribution not as widely known.

Depends who you ask.  Redhat certainly has the highest profile of any linux
distribution, but most if not all admins I've met who've had exposure to
more than just redhat would disagree with this statement.  Most well-known
does not equal best, look at windows.

While we're listing the strengths of distributions, I'll just mention
Debian's automatic dependancy tracking, ability to easily upgrade online,
thorough bug tracking and testing procedures and it's fully supported by
its users ... well it *is* its users.  And I think it runs on more
platforms than any other distribution.

Geoff.