HD not detected

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Jan 18 16:57:42 EST 2002

did you connect both drives to the one ide cable?
If so they are probably both master on the one cable
and it is even money which the bios/os will find and won't find.
If the second drive is on the second cable with the cdrom;
then again you probably have the cdrom as master (hdc you did say) and the maxtor
as master as well. Change t he cdrom to slave. this is often done
by moving the jumper as follows:
With the ide connector of the cdrom facing you working from right to left you
have:
4-pin power connector, 40-pin ide connector master/slave jumpers mode jumpers red-book
audio conector 4-pin.
The master/slave jumper usually has 6 pins or mone in  a row of 2
excuse the poor ascii art but like this:
***
***

The jumper closes 2 pins and sits straight up and down. settings are
given from the *right*
right-most pins: drive is slave.
middle pins: drive is master
Left hand set of pins: drive is set to cable select.
In summary from the right: master, slave cable select.
This is often written on the drive as MA SL CS from the right or
CS SL MA fromt heleft above or below the jumper block.
Put the cdrom as slave and connect the maxtor as master to the secondary controller.

Hope t hishelps.

Regards, Kerry.

Kerry Hoath:  kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au