hosts.allow

Tommy Moore tmoore at cmrc.org
Tue Jan 15 15:08:10 EST 2002

Speaking of allowing hosts to connect to your machines have a little
problem of my own here.
On my little network I don't run dns so I access my different machines by
their hostnames.
One thing I notice is that when I'm not connected to the internet with my
firewall machine when ever I try to make an ftp connection to my machines
the setion hangs.
I suspect this is the ftp server trying to resolve the dns hostname. How
do I get the default ftp server on RH 7.2 to look for the hostname in
/etc/hosts instead of querrying dns.
I don't seem to have this problem when using ssh though.
Any help would be cool of how I can fix this.
This gets rather annoying if I don't have a connection to the world.

Thansk.
Tommy

--
Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)