why PDF

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Jan 14 18:40:16 EST 2002

This is essentially correct. Just a few items:

1.)	 MIT (or anyone) can more affordably create PDF only by scanning.
I suspect most people on this list are not going to be very impressed by
that. At it's best this kind of PDF is no smarter than an ascii text file.
At worst it's a nightmare, as for example the pdf's at fcc.gov where the
time stamp and all other arcana are interspersed making gobblydegook out
of the speech synthesis. The essential point is that it's far easier for
the eye to edit out the extraneous because the eye retains context. The
ear does not readily obtain context;

2.)	It is true that publishers wishing to lock in a particular "look
and feel" believe PDF is the way to achieve this. Unfortunately, the
desire to lock in look and feel must ul.timately yield to user needs. It
so happens that the two need not be in conflict, though this fact is not
as well understood;

Of course, the real PDF advantage is smaller file size and the ability to
print reliably to almost any printer anywhere.

But, none of these make PDF a very good choice where accessibility is a
priority. And accessibility is a legally mandated priority under 508.