anti-word

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 14 13:51:34 EST 2002

I think the real issue for many here is that of, well, money!
If a sighted person goes and buys a computer, and they decide to get a
windows box, they can take it home and use it right away (out of the box).
When a blind person buys a windows box (yup, I actually did because I wanted
to use cakewalk, and no such software exists in an accessible form for any
other OS), they need to spend another nonsignificant lump of cash (probably
at least half of what the computer is worth or more) just to be able to use
it. After all the cash is laid out, we can't even make *full* use of it, and
to make matters worse, the screen reader is usually one of the main
culprates in causing crashes or other system-level missbehaviors.

Having said all that, I think word is a defacto standard, and if you have
the means (a box with a windows screen reader and a copy of word), then you
should know how to use it to either read the document, or produce an rtf or
txt document for yourself. If you get sent a word document to edit, you need
to send back a word document with your changes included. Whether we like it
or not, sighted people like word and have demonstrated this by spending cash
to obtain it. To be fair, it does do just about everything required of a
decent, powerful, and fairly straightforward (if your sighted) document
publishing environment.

To add more fuel to the fire, there is a project (several in fact) here at
MIT to make courseware available on-line for all institute courses. A number
of frameworks are being tried, but the consensus seems to be that HTML ain't
good enough. People have gravitated to, -- hold on to your hats -- PDF as
the format of choice. If not PDF, word is also acceptable.  This is, in the
minds of the humble folks at the MIT Access Tech Lab, a very bad thing! I
believe PDF is popular in the academic world because it provides fairly
rigorous copyright protection. Both word and PDF are binary files, so you
need the right software to read them, which makes copyright protection
easier to enforce. HTML could be read without even a browser with a bit of
effort. MIT and other private institutions are not covered by ADA
regulations (508 etc), at least this is my understanding. Please tell me
otherwise if this is not true.

Just my two cents...

                    Rich Caloggero
                    MIT ATIC