piping output of dd through bzip2

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Jan 14 13:01:09 EST 2002

The output of dd always goes to the device or file specified for of=
Example: dd if=/dev/hda of=something
My problem here is I don't know how you can specify that of is to be piped
into bzip2.  Some programs use the `-' to represent the standard pipe. in
which case, you might be able to say:
dd if=/dev/hda of=-; bzipz -
Sorry, don't have experience with bzip2's command parms but hopefully this
makes sense in concept.