speakup howto, was: Re: suggestions for Speakup

Saqib Shaikh ss at saqibshaikh.com
Sat Jan 12 16:39:56 EST 2002

Ok, I can't speak for IBM since I'm just a 20 year old sitting in my halls
awaiting first day of term on Monday but I know that IBM is not only doing
stuff for accessibility but generally.

I'm speculating and *not* speaking for Jenifer or IBM.  But I'd guess that
Linux saves IBM money, is more reliable and most importantly is the biggest
chance they've got of once again becoming the biggest computer company in
the world - not likely but Linux makes it more likely.  In short Linux is
good business sense.

So it's also in IBM's business interest to make sure that Linux is widely
used so they're working on "Linux useability".  As an aside this means that
it must also be useable by the disabled.  Sure this has implications for sec
501 but it generally means that *more people use Linux*.

So if Linux benefits IBM and more people use Linux its a big big thumbs up.

This is just me talking off the top of my head and nothing official.

The howto is being proof-read at IBM and we'll let you know when more
happens.

Regards, Saqib