anti-word

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Jan 13 15:08:20 EST 2002

Well, I believe you're wrong on both counts, in terms of what AFB supports
and in terms of what's good for blind people.

Proprietary formats that work sometimes, and don't work often are not good
for blind people. For example, when it comes to inaccessible documents,
such as the forms mentioned in an earlier message, an accomondation can
reasonably be enforced under the ADA. I speak here of the most
restrictive circumstance such that of employment where, as you
pointed out, there are defined company standards. There are other
examples.

You have, however, apparently narrowed the scope of this discussion to
file sharing within some kind of organizational entity--a company, a
school.  The issue goes beyond that.

When the situation is a proprietary format to someone outside of an
organizational entity, the entity is on even weaker ground. They have no
basis in law to compel someone to spend money on devices they would
otherwise not purchase in order to read something they're entitled to
read. An excellent example of this circumstance are Sec. 508 (and I
daresay 504). When the government chooses to publish forms on the web,
they are now required to be accessible forms. And, they must be accessible
to a wider variety of individuals with a wider variety of technologies.
They cannot, for example, say "Word is accessible, so we can publish
Word," because it's arguably only accessible to those with that kind of
technology. The public service must serve the greater public, not just
that majority that may have chosen Word somehow.