ms-word, was: Re: anti-word

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Jan 13 11:17:31 EST 2002

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Steve Holmes wrote:

> If it is a circle, it is a vicious one. It's one thing to update the
> original document and work it as a text doc in your favorite unix editor
> but doing this destroys all formatting and styles originnaly placed with
> the word processor, hence we need a word compatible word processor for
> linuw.

Sorry, you are wrong. First of all, it is unusual to get a word processed
document properly formatted. Most often their creators create some
semblance of formatting by assuming that pushing text around the screen, a
little left, a little right, a little up and a little down by whatever
means constitutes appropriate formatting. It doesnt, but the explanations
are lengthy. So, I'll drop that and assume, for the purpose of my reply,
that they've formatted correctly.

So, if the document is correctly formatted, it will correctly translate
into another formatting schema, provided the document formatting usage is
published. One simply maps one to the other, and formatting is preserved,
to be edited by the next person, and so on. Recall that html is but one
way to keep organizational formatting intact. Unfortunately, Microsoft
doesn't release it's specs for Word, so the best we can do is reverse
engineer. Therefore, if it doesn't translate well, the sender gets what
they deserve, the fruits of their arrogance.

Please note that Word arrogance extends well beyond their proprietary .doc
file format. The html generated by Word is attrocious, for example. And
Microsoft's attempts to redefine high ASCII values, and muck with
consensus character sets is, to my mind, the height of arrogance.

I do not regard it my duty to protect such people from the consequences of
their own folly.
 > > On