A compiling procedure question.

Terry Cudney tcudney at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 12 23:35:14 EST 2002

Hi Dan,

	There is a way to do this, although you must be careful not to alter anything else in the .config file:

1) make a backup copy of the .config file from your /usr/src/linux directory:

	cp .config ../config-backup

2) edit the file: /usr/src/linux/.config deleting the section containing the erroneously configured option.

3) do a:	'make oldconfig' - this will only prompt you for the options that you deleted in your earlier editing session

4) continue with the rest of the steps for compiling the kernel (ie make dep / make bzImage / make modules / make modules_install)

HTH,

	--terry

You wrote:

-=> Hi again folks.
-=> Although I have read the howto on compiling kernels, and I have done
-=> it successfully before, I don't understand some of the science behind
-=> some of the procedures, so here's my question.
-=> I compiled the 2.4.5 kernel, but during make config, I got distracted,
-=> and in the sound section I pressed n instead of y.
-=> I didn't realize this UN till later.  Is there a way I can go back in
-=> and do it again without blowing away my whole source tree and starting
-=> fresh?  If not, I don't mind, but I am hoping there's an easier way.
-=> Some of the information in the kernel howto was a bit over my head.
-=> thanks.
-=>
-=>
-=>