suggestions for Speakup

Amanda Lee amanda at shellworld.net
Sat Jan 12 14:03:15 EST 2002

Please don't call it a "macro" that sounds too much like a virus and and too
much like Just for Whims talk!  I really don't care what it is called  but
yes there does need to be, as time permits it, a more flexible means to
configure across different applications and individual needs.  If Speakup
wants to compete on this platform and to hold it's ground, then it will be
necessary to  offer more of those "bells and whistles" which one may or not
consider personally important.

First off, it's important that Speakup is stable, supports a variety of
speech synthesizers and can at least support the typical functionality of a
dos or text-oriented screen reader.  If the author(s) aren't vested in this,
then since it's based upon their unpaid input, then this is obviously their
hchoice.

It wouldn't surprise me though, that once Linux emerges as a more commonly
utilized platform in Government and in the work and educational place, then
there's nothing to prevent another vendor from developing a Linux Screen
Reader to market for Accessibility.
So wether or not Speakup wants a competative edge, is obviously not my
decision to make.  But I'd certainly prefer seeing Speakup emerge as the
preferred Screen Reader for Linux.

Amanda Lee
Alexandria, VA