speakup howto, was: Re: suggestions for Speakup

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Jan 12 13:36:53 EST 2002

Excellent questions, Gregory. IBM's Accessibility on Linux page, which is
at:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux/projects/access/

says "The IBM Linux Accessibility Team contributes to the open-source
community's accessibility efforts in order to help
   accelerate Linux."

This is, of course, an incomplete statement which makes no sense on its
own. What do they mean "accelerate linux?" I suspect they don't mean "make
it run faster," for example. I'm sure there's a word missing in that
sentence, but I diagress ...

This page goes on to say:

"November 15, 2001
   Saqib Shaikh, author of several Speakup documents, agreed to coauthor
new Speakup HOWTO with Jennifer Jobst."

Since I see no link, I assume they're not offering up any drafts just yet,
but I certainly expect they'll do so before finalizing their document. I
know Jennifer posted a draft of her emacspeak documentation on the
emacspeak list, so I suspect she's lurking here, and will do the same for
us. And, of course, Saqib is active on this list, so perhaps he'd like to
share about this? I do recall he offered us his own, quite excellent
speakup HOWTO last spring. Are there other speakup docs you've written,
Saqib? That one is the only one I'm aware of to date.

Now, let me speculate on the real reason IBM is up to all those wonderful
efforts they proudly list at the url provided above:

I believe IBM wants to make money selling computers to the U.S.
Government. I believe they want the option to sell systems without
Microsoft applications, and Microsoft operating systems. Recent news
stories have explained about contracts from IBM to Redhat for ports of the
Redhat distribution of open source linux for a range of IBM servers, and
even IBM's S390 mainframe.

To me, these facts point to the intention to be Sec.508 compliant in
systems proposals for U.S. Federal procurments. And, I say, "Amen, and
more power to them."