initializing speakup

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Jan 12 11:14:38 EST 2002

Chuck:

I have come to the same conclusion about speakup initialization, but with
a twist. Because I use more than one synth at one time or another, I think
it useful to create synth specific directories in /etc/speakup, e.g.
/etc/speakup/ltlk, /etc/speakup/bns, etc. I have not implemented this yet,
though, because I'm not quite smart enough yet with shell scripts to read
in the value of /proc/synth and use that value to trigger sourcing the
appropriate subdirectory of /etc/speakup. I know it's not a rocket science
level of bash scripting to do that, I just haven't gotten there yet.

My second suggestion relates to where to put the script/alias. I would
think it belongs in /home/$USER/.bash_profile. That way, the machine can
be shared with folks in the household/office who don't use speech, and it
can be accessed across the net (as I do with my notebook at home from my
workstation at my office) without triggering the chatter and scarring the
cleaning lady.