suggestions for Speakup

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sat Jan 12 07:05:06 EST 2002

Adam -
I am in agreement with most of what you said below, especially
that it is our own task to figure out how to deal with stuff
designed for the sighted world if at all possible. The intimate
connection between speakup and the OS is extremely valuable. I
have seen a number of other projects start off as neat little
lean and mean applications that grew like topsy out of control
when enthusiastic users began bombarding the developer with
requests for "just one more simple feature", and there comes a
time when a developer has to take a tough stand and apply careful
criteria to decide what gets added and what does not. Do give
that initialization thing a spin and see if it does the trick for
your accent synth problem. If it does not do it, then something
stronger is definitely indicated. Maybe another OS trick, or
maybe a speakup feature. But let's exhaust the less expensive
alternatives first.

Regards - Chuck