suggestions for Speakup

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Fri Jan 11 10:06:51 EST 2002

On 11 Jan 2002, Kirk Reiser wrote:

> On another note, mentioning that something should be there because it
> is part of windows/dos screen review packages is a non-starter with
> me.  That means we should do something because it is available in that
> other o.s.  I base what needs to be done on what features seem
> reasonable to provide better access to linux.  I am not at all
> interested in keeping up with those other packages.  So if you folks
> want to make a comparison based on features, you might as well just
> piss off.

Kirk,

I support your position completely! Speakup is at the point where
it is vulnerable to the bells and whistles syndrome, where folks
want to throw in the kitchen sink. Stick to the straight and
narrow and make sure each feature under consideration really
belongs in a screen reader. Examples: the cut and paste feature
really did belong; the reinitialization feature really does not.

Chuck

Visit me at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh