suggestions for Speakup

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 9 19:55:36 EST 2002

Here are two things I would like to see some future version of Speakup be
able to do.  First, I'd like to see a way of turning off the keypad.  For
example, when numlock is on, the keypad would act normally and type
numbers.  The second is some sort of frames or windows support.  What I
mean is the feature where you can designate a part of the screen, say,
lines 2 and 3, and instruct the screen reader to ignore these lines, but
let you have them spoken on demand with a hot key.  Both DOS and Windows
screen readers can do this, but I have no idea how it would be done in
Speakup's current state since it can't save settings directly.  What do
you all think of these ideas?  Are they doable?