Speakup initialisation scripts

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sun Jan 6 08:56:37 EST 2002

Hi:

Since I spent a good couple of hours puzzling over this one today, I
thought I might share my experiences so that others may benefit.

Recently, we made our other machine dule bootable.  This meant two things.
firstly, it meant that another person in the house was using linux directly
and therefore speakup.  Secondly, it meant that I had to deal with a linux
box that was rebooted more often than the one I use.  Now, when you're
using a system that doesn't boot very often, you can get quite comfortable
with setting up things the way you want them when it boots and then
leaving it, since you don't have to do it very often.  However, I soon
discovered 2 things.  A machine that's booted
more often needs to be set up manually more often as a result.  This is
fine providing that (A) you know the commands, and (B) you're quite happy
to type them every time.   In this case, neither were true, so I got
hassled into getting things to work automatically.

And thus to my point.  We wanted to have the keyboard echo turn off
automatically.  since I now not only do that but also set pitch, rate and
the contents of punc_some, I decided that I'd get this working on my system
as well.  First time, it didn't work.  Solved that one, symbolic link
pointing to the wrong place by vertue of a typo.  When it didn't work a
second time though, and failed on both systems, I began to smell a rat,
particularly when executing the link manually had the desired result.  Can
you think of what the problem was?

Here's the answer.  I put it in as early as I could, and this proved to be
too early.  The/proc filesystem was not yet mounted.  Well, I have just
tracked down where the proc filesystem is mounted, so for any debian users
who want to add such scripts, here's where to add them.  The proc
filesystem is, believe it or not, mounted near the end of S10checkroot in
the /etc/rcS.d directory.  since this is the second script executed (the
first if you blow away the S05 keyboard thingy), it's pretty easy to make
sure you're after this one.  but you must make sure you are otherwise the
script will do nothing.  I put it as the next file (S11speakup.sh) so that
if I ever want to boot to single user mode, I'll still get my settings set
automatically.

Hope this info is useful to someone.

Geoff.