Web Browsers with Javascript?

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Thu Jan 3 13:49:01 EST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:
> On the other hand, do we really want to allow js into our machines? Are we
> really willing to let any old web site execute code on our machines? Isn't
> js a security vulnerability waiting to happen? I rather think someone will
> devise some kind of virus delivered via js before two many more years go
> by. What then? Will the press run stories like "How come they didn't tell
> us?"

If implimented the way it was intended it is safe. It is a scripting
language intended to be limited to working with the current document and
data associated therein. There has been a "virus" using javascript. It
used the evil "Windows Scripting Host" that macroslop so ingeniously
introduced quietly so nobody would realize.

Code is already run when you view a web page. The reality is that the html
tags are in effect scripting for the page.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

One of the most overlooked advantages to computers is...  If they do
foul up, there's no law against whacking them around a little.
	-- Joe Martin