Web Browsers with Javascript?

BTBG kheltsley at shell.core.com
Thu Jan 3 12:19:07 EST 2002

I'm not fully sure of some of the things you wrote.  I use JavaScripts on my
web space because my ISP no longer supported the use of cgi scripts in the
server. They were afraid of overloading their servers or something.

I have since moved my pages to geocities where I think there are certain cgi
scripts that are available.

Mostly what I use are simple things like a changing Welcome message, a
selection box and a button or two.  If for no other reason, I think it is
cool.

I also have regular hyperlinks for folks who don't have a JS capable
browser.

from
KH

--- You Wrote: ---

But it is not unique in this ability. And, it makes assumptions about
available resources client side. So, I reject that js is somehow necessary
for such things as you describe. Yes, I know, I hear this argument all the
time. It comes down to large sites wanting to offload cycles to the
client, rather than supporting larger capacity servers and do the work
server side. But this is not a path to device independence, and is, in my
view, a false economy.