fw: [braillenote] brailleNote access to linux]

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Wed Jan 2 17:23:07 EST 2002

Hi all,

I thought some of you might find the below interesting and perhaps usefull.
Greg

----- Forwarded message from "Larry L. Lewis, Jr." <l.lewis at mindspring.com> -----

From: "Larry L. Lewis, Jr." <l.lewis at mindspring.com>
To: "BrailleNote discussion list" <braillenote at lyris.pulsedata.co.nz>
Cc: "Rick Plescia" <RAPlescia at aol.com>,
   "Judy and Larry McCreary" <ruf at cris.com>,
   "Jim Sullivan" <jimsullivan27 at earthlink.net>,
   "Ed Smith" <esmith01 at concentric.net>,
   "Dominic Gagliano" <dominicg at concentric.net>,
   "Matt Ater" <mater at 4access.com>,
   "HumanWare Home Office Staff" <Staff at humanware.com>,
   "Kim Burgess" <burgess at humanware.com>,
   "HumanWare Management Team" <hwimgrs at humanware.com>,
   "HumanWare Distributors" <HWIdist at humanware.com>
Subject: [braillenote] brailleNote  access to linux
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:36:06 -0500

Braille Access to Linux
Hello folks,

Over the past year or so there has been a bit of interest by the North
American market to have some degree of Linux access with the BrailleNote
family of products.  Many of you are familiar with Braille TTY, a
Linux-based Braille screenreader which provides access to a Linux box.  The
Pulse Data Group is pleased to announce the arrival of a Braille TTY driver
for the BrailleNote family of products.  This driver enables the user of the
BrailleNote to access a Linux Box using his/her BrailleNote as a Braille
display.  It should be noted that firstly, this version of Braille TTY is
still in Public Beta and should be released shortly.  Secondly, Braille TTY
is a free downloadable program.  What this means is that if you choose to
use this software, you do so with the understanding that HumanWare nor any
other agent of the PDI Group will be offering technical assistance for you
to install or use this driver.  This is typically the practice by all
mainstream and adaptive technology companies when its customers opt to use
downloadable "freeware", although HumanWare does support to some degree its
customers' usage of Microsoft's ActiveSync utility.

HumanWare has invested resources into ensure that this driver is developed
to present to you, the BrailleNote customer, additional flexibility with
this product line.

the Braille tty project can be found at:
> http://mielke.cc/brltty
> From this location select the download link and download the 2.99z beta.
> This beta has support for both the Braille 18 and 32 cell models as
> well as the Braille qt models.  This download contains all sources
> and documentation.  The project maintainer is Dave
>  mielke <http://mielke.cc/brltty> , dave at mielke.cc.

Thanks.

With Regards,
Larry L. Lewis, Jr.
Blindness Products Manager,
HumanWare Inc.
A Pulse Data International Company
Phone:  216-381-8106; 800-722-3393, Extension 423
E-Mail:  lewis at humanware.com
Visit HumanWare on the web at http://www.humanware.com
ftp site: ftp.humanware.com/humanware

You are currently subscribed to braillenote as: gnowak1 at uic.edu