Strange things with my hard drive

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Tue Feb 26 11:59:31 EST 2002

How big is the drive you are trying to use? Is the boot
partiton below the 8.4gb limit? That is strange that int13 is not
controlling the device it should. If your motherboard has udma/66 or udma/100
controllers it needs the 80-wire cable.
Some motherboards and drives don't get on so wd released a  utility to disable udma/66
with a loss in performance.
Does lifeguard show any drive errors? If it does it's the drive's fault.
Is the bios the latest that is available for the board? A bios upgrade
can fix hard disk recognition problems.
Feel free to summarize precisely what is in the machine
and how it is hooked up.
Motherboard type and bios date if known. processer. ram. type and number
of drives. Model numbers of cdrom and hard drives hdd most important.
I can't see anything so far that jumps out at me, but something might ring alarm
bells when I see the system config.
No there are no copyrights on my messages;
I just get into a mood where I feel it necessary to rant about something
I know things about to either summarize points given,
clear missinformation (cable select one slave on a cable) etc.

There is a FAQ on ide and the like it is called the Fast ata faq or something
available on news.answers look for enhanced ide/ata faq or similar.

Regards, Kerry.

--
Kerry Hoath:  kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au