Options for buying a computer.

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Feb 26 07:16:15 EST 2002

You might be better off dealing with a local computer shop in your area
who might be willing to sell you a computer to your specifications with no
preinstalled anything.  Then you can stipulate that you want at least one
serial port, ISA slots or whatever.  Obviously if you are using new
hardware, new network cards, SCSI host adaptors, etc., you might not need
ISA slots but you probably need one or more serial ports for synth and
modem.  A lot of these local computer shops are quite reasonable and
certainly more flexible than a mail order place.  The problem with a lot
of the big stores and such, they preinstall operating systems and software
and there are sometimes warantee implications at stake if the machine is
reformatted with your own OS.  Just another thing to wrinkle up your
research <sigh>.

If top of the line performance isn't too critical to you, a used machine
might not be a bad bet either.  Linux doesn't require near the resources
that winblows does thus there's often a lot of people selling off their
older pentiums like a 133 or 200 and that will run linux perfectly!