choosing a distro and version

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Sun Feb 24 11:16:37 EST 2002

I'm assuming that you have a kernel with the new speakup. In that case, at the lilo prompt right after the machine boots, and the floppy stopps spinning, do
speakup_synth=bns
and that should do it. If not, then after you type the string above on your next boot, add the following  string
speakup_ser=x
where x is 0 through 3 for com 1 through com4 respectively.

This is detailed in the speakup docs. I would strongly suggest reading them if you haven't done so already.
Greg