oggenc weirdness

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Feb 24 10:49:52 EST 2002

Sampling at 44100 is not a good idea at all, here is why.
Assume we have a 44100hz stream at 16 bits per sample so that is
88200 bytes per second. we want to compress that to 32 kilobits per second or
4000 bytes per second.
A quick devision shows a 22:1 compression is involved. At such
agressive compression settings lame downsamples by default and introduces noise
into the sample fromt he downsampling. This is agrivated by the mp3 encoding
process. If we start sampling at 22050 rather than 44100
then it is only a 11:1 compression ratio.
Also, mp3 is not free to use and has patent restrictions on its use.
ogg sounds better, is completely free and works well.
Below is the technical reason why you don't do 4-track tapes at 44100:

Take your average 4-track tape recorded at 15/16 inches per second.
This is half regular tape speed which is 1 and 7/8 inches per second.
On side 1 we have track 1 on the left channel and reversed track 4 on the right channel.
On side 2 we have track 2 on the left channel and track 3 reversed on the right channel.
the fastest way to sample these tapes is to do the following:
Sample side1 at 44100 16-bit stereo.
fiddle the wave file so that the header reads 22050 samples per second.
This halves the speed from normal tape speeds digitally and since no math
is involved we retain whatever quality we got into the sound card except see note below.
Split the wave file into left channel only track one and right channel only track 4.
Reverse the right channel. We have now got 2 tracks of aproximately 90
minutes in length but have only sampled for 45 minutes.
This means that if we sample both sides and slice them up we sample for 90
minutes and fiddle for 10 minutes to get 6 hours of wave data on disk.
Not bad at all.
The problem is that even though the niquist frequency of 44100 samples per second is 22050hz
most low-end soundcards don't record high frequencies say above 16khz too well
and some tape recorders don't play them well either.
This means that some of the top end is lost by sampling at double speed and
halving sample rate. This stuff is only spoken word so
the loss is not too great. Also lame puts a lowpass
polyphase filter on the wave data at about 7500hz anyway.
I could sample at 32000hz and half the rate to 16000 but I may loose more
high frequency component and would be incompatible with a lot of sound hardware that won't
play back 16khz sample rates.
Sampling on a 4-track machine would also preserve more quality but would take 4 times longer.
I just need to find a good card for the pc that is supported under Linux and that has good
quality analog inputs.
Sound blaster live cards tend to be a bit noisy in this regard. It's almost worth
dragging out the Gravis ultrasound max or the pas16 cards I have here.
The pas16 cards have the best line input i've heard on cheap cards but require
a dynamic microphone and do not provide phantom power so will
not run a condenser without a Microphone pre-amp.
Anyway I've ranted long enough :-)

Regards, Kerry.