choosing a distro and version

Ed Barnes ed.barnes at janus.northatlantic.nf.ca
Fri Feb 22 11:22:20 EST 2002

Hi again folks, hope nobody is sick of hearing from me yet, if so, I'm
sorry.
nevertheless, I was looking at the speakup web site, in particular available
information on Debian and Red Hat Linux distroes.
I am debating choosing to setup either a Debian or a Red Hat system as my
first Linux system
I have spoken with some Linux users locally and the general consensus from
those who have used both distroes is that for a first-timer Red Hat might be
an easier setup and that after I have successfully conquered setting up a
Red Hat box I would have enough skill to conquer setup of Debian and/or
Slackware as desired.
Any thoughts?
The system which I was planning to use and dedicate to setting up Linux as
its only operating system is a Pentium II 233 MHZ w 64 mb of ram and two
HDs, it has a sound blaster pro sound card, and it will have a Symbios Logic
pci video adapter or an Sys chip set based AGP though I am leaning toward
using the AGP so as to be able to use the extra pci slot for something more
practical like one of the nics.
I know that I should create a min of three partitions, /home, /root, and a
swap partition.
I have rough ideas of how big I want these partitions to be based on what I
wish to do with the server from a functional point of view.
The two HDs are 1.6 gb and 2 gb in size respectively.