sing zipspeak 8.0

John Schucker gwynn at tds.net
Fri Feb 22 04:20:47 EST 2002

Hi all.  I just installed zipspeak 8 and I've got a few questions.

1.  Any docs on using the /proc/speakup dir to change settings?  My entry
in fstab looks like:

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

I assume this means /proc is writable, but if I do for example:

echo 7 >/proc/speakup/pitch

and then check the pitch with:

cat /proc/speakup/pitch

the value is still 5 and my synth's pitch doesn't change.  Dito with rate,
which is at 9.  I'd like to get it faster if possible.  Oh yeah, all of
this is on an accent SA.

Speaking of which, what do the settings in the /proc/speakup/accent_sa dir do?

2.  More questions about settings.  I recall in the 1.0 announcement
there's some sort of cursor tracking option you can test out.  How do you
turn this on and off?  I assume something in /proc/speakup would do it.

3.  Totally unrelated, but just because I'm here:

 I've got a 3Com Ofice Connect PCI ethernet card.  For some reason
netconfig doesn't find it on a probe.  Is there a simple way to set this up
without recompiling the kernel?>  I'll do that eventually, but it'd be nice
to have network support.

4.  Anybody have any apps they're dying to recommend, editors, stuff like
that?  I actually ahve no idea what I've got access to in zipspeak.  I
figured it'd have pico, but apparently not.

TIA for the help!  Oh yeah, how's the list, pretty informal or what?  I can
do the "Hi, my name's .. and I do .." stuff later if anybody's interested.