files that grow like topsy

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu Feb 14 08:00:11 EST 2002

There might be a package called savelogs
or logrotate which you can run from cron that can
handle renaming gzipping and deleting logs.
Under debian /var/log/messages and syslog get renamed and gzipped on
a daily basis and 7 days of logs are kept.
12 months of wtmp are compressed and kept.
You can delete wtmp and it should be created. If you want to make
damn sure, touch the file and chown it to the user/group of the old
one and things should be fine.
logrotate and savelog will do all this for you.
Debian does this automatically as does Redhat.
Slackware is suboptimal in this regard. Unless you went digging you might never
know why diskspace was beeing eaten.

Regards, Kerry.

Kerry Hoath:  kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au