Samba Questions

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Wed Feb 13 21:16:46 EST 2002

The ports samba needs open are 138 and 139.

Also, I don't see why you want to use hosts.allow/hosts.deny with samba, since you can do all of that with smb.conf. Here is a part of my smb.conf.

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to one C class network and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
;   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

Hth.
Greg