pine and the char set thing

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Feb 12 09:48:09 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:

> Users of speakup often listen to their mail "directly" - i.e.,
> spontaneously, as it is placed on the screen. When that happens,
> you cannot just skip ahead three or four lines to get past those
> char set messages.

One of the more useful features of the DOS screen reader, asap, was it's
ability to silence a line, but continue speaking beginning at the next
line. This feature was bound to the shift key, and I got very good at
tapping shift to help me skim through such text.

In the case of pine, I suspect that the most which could be accomplished
today is to get rid of the text that always appears, and the text that
almost always appears. In the former category are the second and third
lines--the two that say something like "you're using XX charset, and some
chars may not be presented correctly." It actually does take a few seconds
to say that text--so there's a few gained. Next, the actual char set is
most often Windows 1252, so a rule to eliminate that would catch most of
the annoyances.