pppd error messages

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Tue Feb 12 06:29:57 EST 2002

Hi Adam -
Yes, I did all those things. I said 'yes' to those options and
also to two other choices having to do with compression, but I
did not change the setting for ppp filters. I removed the actual
modules installed by the winmodem package plus the install script
plus the line that was added to rc.local that ran the script,
plus about three other support files in /etc and /usr/sbin. As
far as I know that was the entire list.
I was running 2.4.5 for about a week before the adventure with
the winmodem, but I cannot honestly say for sure if those error
messages appeared when moving to 2.4.5 or whether they first
appeared when playing with the winmodem - I ordinarily disregard
the output of ppp-go and ppp-off unless there is a connect
failure or something.
I am comfortable compiling kernels and have a machine fast enough
to make it relatively painless to do it. I often will make only a
single change or perhaps a couple of changes when modifying the
kernel configuration, rather than make a long list of changes. If
a failure occurs at some point it is nice to know that the cause
comes from a short list of possibilities instead of a long list.
Chuck