popping mail

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Tue Feb 5 06:27:50 EST 2002

Richard -

I did this for myself recently, and it was not that difficult.
You need to do two things:

1. create a script which runs  an editor and then runs the
spellchecker. You can run any editor you choose, pico for
instance, or another editor if you wish. I run 'nano' instead of
pico, and my script is given below. Put the script in
/usr/local/bin or some other place on your path, and be sure it
has execute permissions.

2. In the pine setup/configuration menu, go to
"invoke-alternate-editor-implicitly and check it. Then you must
give the name of your script, including its path, so that you are
actually invoking the script instead of the editor directly.

That is all there is to it. Of course there is a "ctrl-T" command
in the pine composer that invokes the spell checker, but you have
to remember to do that, and if you are like me you will either
not remember or will be so confident that you choose not to!!!

Here is the script, which you can modify and maybe simplify if
you wish:

----------
#!/bin/bash
if [ "$1" = "" ]; then