.bashrc

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Feb 3 13:37:53 EST 2002

I like the solution some of us on this list came up with a few wekks ago
better. I think this started with Chuck. Saqib added the cool command
syntax at the end:

1.)	Create a /etc/speakup;
2.)	Create a subdirectory in /etc/speakup for each of the synths
available to you on your computer. If that's only one synth, that's OK;

3.)	Launch linux with each of your synths, one at a time. Tweak your
setteings as you want them by default. Then do:

	cp -a /proc/speakup/* /etc/speakup/[synthname]
	chmod -R 755 /etc/speakup/*

NOTE:	You may delete any files in /etc/speakup/[yoursynth] that weren't
modified by you as you set your defaults, but no damage if you don't;

4.)	Now for the cool part. Create an alias in one of your login files.
I put the following in my .bash_profile:

alias s="cp /etc/speakup/`cat /proc/speakup/synth`/* /proc/speakup"

The first of these two lines defines an alias I've called "s" but you can
call it anything you like, obviously. I guess I'm into terse aliases for
commands I might want to give often. The second line calls this alias so
that My defaults are set after I login. Thereafter, to return to defaults,
I simply type s and press enter.

This works like a charm for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.