Any strange chars here? News notes distribution.

Charles Crawford CCrawford at ACB.org
Sun Feb 3 11:16:19 EST 2002

Hello All,

	Here is a copy of our news notes from the national office which I need to
know does not have any garbage chars in it to distort the reading for text
readers?  I don't think it does and so thought I would post it since I have
never really checked it out here.

-- Charlie Crawford.

Text of news notes.

               NEWS NOTES FROM THE NATIONAL OFFICE.

For the week ending February 1, 2002.

      *  The Battle for Frances Blend begins!

      Can a federal judge sweep away solid educational services
for blind kids and the ability to know ourselves through
association with other blind folks?  There is one trying to do
just that in Los Angeles.  As a part of a more sweeping
integration order, the Los Angeles school system is being forced
to close all special schools for various disability groups except
for deaf folks and kids getting home schooling.  Among these
schools is the Frances Blend school for blind kids and ACB along
with our partners both nationally and in California are not about
to stand for it!  Stay tuned for more news as a solid coalition
of California groups including the California Council of the
Blind are moving quickly to deal with this.

      Nobody endorses segregation in the negative context it has
been traditionally cast. However, a real place for blind kids to
get the braille, mobility, technology, and positive self concept
skills necessary to thrive must be protected and the Frances
Blend school is the next battleground for this.

      *  You send me.  Well, maybe not?  Maybe yes?

      ACB Governmental Affairs Director Melanie Brunson has
completed ACB's response to proposed changes in the "free matter
for the blind" mailing privileges.  Our comments will be joined
by the American Foundation for the Blind and the Blinded Veterans
Association as well.

      The proposed rules if promulgated, would impose seriously
difficult to manage requirements especially on organizations
sending materials by free matter.  Moreover, the proposed rules
do not include equipment to play audio or output braille
materials and do not allow for legally blind folks to send large
print handwritten letters that they compose with a magic marker
or other similar instrument.  ACB will post our comments to our
lists tomorrow.

      In a related story, both Melanie and Penny were off at a
post office last week to try out an accessible stamp vending
machine.  Well, guess what?  It worked!  There is another model
to be tested, but looks like we will all get our licks in!
Smile.

      *  ACB urges better book service for blind of BC.

      ACB Exec Director Charlie Crawford sent a message to the
Premier of British Columbia urging the provincial government to
reverse it's plan to close specialized library services for blind
residents.  The government believes it can save money with no
harm to blind readers of current books produced at government
expense, by allowing the growing number of commercially produced
audio books in public library collections to replace the service.
ACB joins our Canadian brothers and sisters in the struggle to
reverse what is really a cut in service rather than seeing the
commercial audio books as an enhancement to publications not
otherwise available.

      *  DVS Court says, see you in September.

      ACB has learned from our legal team that oral arguments in
the descriptive video case will be heard in September.  We remain
confident that the Court will uphold the Federal Communications
Commission ruling to make video description available beginning
this April.

      *  Gets our vote?  Almost, says Melanie.

      The Federal Elections Commission has rolled out proposed
standards for voting machines which are ambiguous in important
areas for accessibility.  ACB has sent comments on the proposed
standards and will advise as developments occur.

      *  More outreach to folks who are deaf-blind gets attention.

      ACB received a visit from the head of a service center in
Seattle that directly works with consumers who are both deaf and
blind.  We enjoyed the visit and advised her that ACB is
increasing our budget proposals to make our convention more
accessible and to look at a greater partnership between the
classic blindness group and those of us who are deaf and blind.
We encourage interested members and friends to work with our
Sight and Sound Impaired (SASI) committee to help in this effort.
Interested folks can send email to Committee Chair Patty Sarchi
at psarchi at adelphia.net.

      *  ACB guide to alternative formats nears finnish line!

      Charlie Crawford has finished his review of a truly
comprehensive and thorough document written by our own Jennifer
Sutton to be placed on our web site that provides expert advice
on the whole issue of alternative formats.  The document goes
from the broad perspective of considerations to the narrow
technical details of preparing and distributing information in
alternative formats.  There is still the production stage to
complete, but the substance is done!  Every member of ACB and our
blindness community in general will be proud of this work.

      *  ACB files complaint with Department of Transportation.

      There are stories of discrimination and then there are
stories of discrimination.  ACB has forwarded a complaint on a
transportation system that appears to be begging for a trip to
the woodshed.  Not only are we talking about failure to announce
stops, but apparently calling out stops that were the wrong ones
that left the complainant a distance from their destination.
There's more, but let's allow the civil Rights Office at D.O.T.
to investigate and see just how it all comes out!

      *  ACB and others meet with Federal Aviation Administration.

      Disability advocates brought together by the national
Council on Disability met with the Federal Aviation
Administration in what appears to be the first of a series of
meetings to deal with appropriate observance of the civil rights
of people with disabilities when flying.  Service animals and
proper treatment of wheel chair equipment were on this week's
agenda and the plan seems to be a quarterly meeting to insure the
skies and even airports remain as friendly as they need to be.
ACB appreciates the work of NCD Attorney Kathleen Blank who has
been very responsive to our issues from the first contact we made
with her.

      *  Charlie Crawford joins ACB Radio tech assistance?

      Guess it goes with the territory.  Charlie Crawford worked
with two consumers this week in configuring and running ACB Radio
on their computers.  In addition he did support for the talking
checkbook as well.  Don't worry, he still won't get his top one
hundred shower songs as rendered in original voice on our ACB
Radio Cafe audio stream!

      In a related story to radio and not Charlie's singing, we
have submitted a grant proposal to support a series of radio
drama programs exploring the life experience of leaving college
and home and getting into the world of work and independent
living as a blind young adult.  Our Illinois affiliate will be
helping with advice to the drama company and they will be looking
for a blind actress in the Chicago area.  Know anyone?

      In yet another related story to the arts, we just might have
something very cool at the convention this summer with the help
of our Friends in Art (FIA) affiliate.  Talks still need to
happen and let's see if it goes anywhere.  So keep reading news
notes every week!

                                ***

      News notes are a compilation of the highlights of the events
of the preceding week and are not intended to provide a
comprehensive listing of all activities, or treatment of the
topics mentioned.  For information and more detailed treatment of
especially legislative concerns, call the Washington Connection
at 800-424-8666 nights and weekends eastern time.  Be sure to
read the Braille Forum each month and check in with the ACB web
site and radio at WWW.ACB.ORG and WWW.ACBRADIO.ORG respectively.