.bashrc

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Feb 2 19:52:10 EST 2002

Hi, Dave:

First, I'm assuming bash is your assigned shell. Is this correct? To find
out for sure do:

	grep -i [your.username] /etc/passwd

If your shell prompt is a $ sign (dollar sign), you're pretty likely in
bash by default. That's usually the case these days.

Now, there are a chain of files involved in getting your environment set
up. There are system wide setup files in /etc, namely /etc/bashrc and
/etc/profile. Also, you have files in your home directory which set up
your shell environment. They're hidden files so you don't see them with a
simple ls. Instead do:

	ls .bash*

You'll probably see:

.bash_logout
.bashrc
.bash_profile
.bash_history
[

Briefly, here's what these are for:

.bash_logout -- as you might guess, these are commands executed when you
logout with a Ctrl-d (or some such);

.bashrc -- These are settings exectued whenever you login, meaning you in
particular, and not some other username. These are executed whether you
login locally on a console, or over the Internet perhaps using ssh;

.bash_profile -- These commands are executed only when you log in on a
local console;

.bash_history -- This is a cache of commands you've given to the system.
This is how bash knows what commands you gave the last time you logged in.
These are what you see when you use the up and down arrows;

Lastly, let me say that bash has a lot of wonderful features to offer.
Bash scripts, for example, are even more powerful and capable than the
batch programming language in DOS. To learn about bash, look for the
Bash Prompt HOWTO available at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html

 [