mutt

Chris Peterson capeterson at visi.com
Sat Feb 2 13:08:22 EST 2002

Well, all I can say is that, until today, I hadn't used pine for probably
five years.  I also have never used mutt until today.

So, lets just assume for the moment that I'm not an expert on either mailer,
which I'm not.  On a blind friendlyness scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is the
highest and 1 is the lowest, I'd put pine at about a 4 or 5.  That is to say
that, it can be used, but it really is designed to be more graphical than we
need it to be and, while you can configure some stuff to make it better, the
defaults make it a little difficult.

Mutt, on the other hand, has a brief menu of commands at the top of each
screen.  They don't pack enough in there to make it hard to understand; and,
my only regret was that I couldn't figure out how to turn that menu off.
The only reason I'd want to do that, by the way, is because I have to listen
to that menu at the beginning of any message.  Of course, there is probably
something that can be done to make that better, but I'm not an expert.

Never-the-less, it was a joy to operate in the first five minutes or so,
which pine definetly was not.

I'm not sure what version my isp is running, but I'll have to go and grab
the source code some time and have a look through it.

Also, by default, the cursor tracks the bar in mutt, at least that is the
way my isp had it set up.  Having not tried it on my own machine, I don't
know.

Anyway, for what its worth, I think its cool.

73,
Chris Peterson, KG0BP