html mail...

Chris Peterson capeterson at visi.com
Fri Feb 1 15:04:33 EST 2002

This message is in html to filter out those who are to lazy to read it for how it is intended.

If html mail is an issue for people using pine, or something similar, then lets come up with a solution that can be implimented to filter out html tags and, if necessary, convert character sets so that this isn't an issue anymore.

I agree, in principle, that html mail is unnecessary and just takes up space, but I don't think you should go off and flame everybody who uses a Windows mail program.  (Btw, mac mail programs read html mail too...)

Anyway, I've got to think that this would be doable.  Perhaps pine could even be modified to allow you to access links imbeded in an html message.  Thats where I find html to be really useful.  I like the fact that, in Windows, I can press enter on a url in a message and almost immediately access the page.

Obviously, writing a text-based browser that works well isn't a problem; Lynx has been around for years, but nobody seems to be interested in using text anymore except the blind community and all we ever do is bitch when something doesn't work with our stuff.

No wonder I can't stand blind people...

Kirk Wood hit it right on the head in his message.  If you don't like it, go ahead and use your delete finger.  If I don't like you, I'll go ahead and use my middle finger.

I didn't join this list expecting flame wars and people who don't know how to read all their mail before they post.  This must be a blindism, though, because it doesn't happen nearly as frequently on lists mainly frequented by sighted people.  Perhaps it is because they can see the replies to a particular question even before they read them.

So, to quote Rodney King, can't we all just get along?  Or, if that isn't possible, could we at least agree not to waste each other's time with this crap on a regular basis?

Chris