customizing Redhat firewall

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 1 00:58:16 EST 2002

Hi.  I now have both Slackware and Redhat on my system.  I had heard loyal
Slackware users bashing Redhat for its hand-holding and loyal Redhat users
bashing Slackware for its complexity.  So, I wanted to try Redhat to see
how it really compared to Slackware.  Well, although it recognized my
AWE64, it couldn't correctly install it and I wound up compiling a kernel.
This was no big deal, since I took out stuff I didn't need anyway.  The
only surprise was when I discovered that Slackware's preset firewall uses
ipchains instead of iptables.  I had to compile again because I had used
iptables support.  Anyway, now I've got the firewall up in Redhat, but I
want to customize it.  I can easily run the setup utility and pick high,
medium, or no firewall.  Yet, when I select "customize," I just get the
setup menu again.  If I select no firewall and select customize, I get the
reasonable response that you can't customize a disabled firewall, but no
response in other settings.  So, is there a way to access the
customizations in text mode?  Or am I just better off writing my own
ipchains or iptables script?  Thanks.