speakup.i and scsi conflict followup

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sat Dec 28 01:18:31 EST 2002

you need sr_mod.o
there is no way around it.
If you don't have sr_mod you can burn cds but not mount them.
There is really no way around compiling yourself a custom kernel for slackware;
it is assumed that you will build your won kernel after install with the drivers you need.
You do not pass parameters with modprobe. You edit /etc/modules.conf
and put lines in like
options ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

or you can
insmod ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
The difference with insmod and modprobe is that modprobe will try to load the module you
request and all dependant modules;
whereas insmod will try to load one module.
modprobe takes config information from /etc/modules.conf as does kmod
the kernel thread that loads modules on demand.

Reading manpages on modprobe insmod and depmod might help you here.

Regards, Kerry.