Checkbook programs

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sat Dec 21 16:05:58 EST 2002

Hi gang,

A while ago there were some inquiries about a Linux program to
keep track of a checkbook, and Charlie offered up the source code
for his popular program if anyone wanted to port it to the Linux
environment. I am not sure if anyone ever did that, but I have
recently ported an earlier program of my own to Linux, and have
posted it on my web site if anyone wants to give it a whirl.

Actually it is more than a port, it is a serious upgrade. It does
not print checks or pay bills electronically, but is a convenient
record keeper. It helps you balance an account and is handy for
browsing old transactions. I have ported about six or seven years
of personal records from earlier programs of my own into the new
format and am willing to trust it to handle that stuff safely and
accurately.

It is called "chex" and the sources and documentation are
available at:

http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh/chex-0.1.0.tar.gz

It compiles and runs on my Slackware 8.1 system which uses GCC
2.95.3, but I have no idea if it will work on other systems. It
is written in C and has an extremely dumb interface. It would
probably work fine on a teletype terminal, it's that dumb. But if
it's interface you want, you had better not mess with it.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (95% of Full)
So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh