processing a large number of files

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Tue Dec 10 22:05:11 EST 2002

Hi all.

I have a large number of pdfs that I need to process into text files.

I know that if I feed file1.pdf to pdftotext, it will write file1.txt. So, I tried doing
pdftotext *.pdf
, but got the program's help message, instead of bash expanding the filenames, and a bunch of .txt files.

Since my bash programming is next to nothing, is there a way to do what I want without a script?

Could I somehow get bash to expand the wildcard, and feed the individual files to pdftotext for it to spit out txt files?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Greg